Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Growing Up a Cubs Fan

I grew up in central Illinois and started following the Cubs in 1980, when I was 8 years old. Bill Buckner quickly grew on me. I just loved his gritty hard nosed style of play. I also would anticipate a 440 foot moon shot homerun every time Dave Kingman stepped up to the plate. The Cubs weren't competitive back then, but that didn't stop me from running home from school everyday to catch the game on the radio. We didn't have cable back then, so a small transistor radio allowed me to close my eyes and just listen to the commentators to me away to Wrigley Field. I have always rooted for the underdog, and what team fits the criteria better than the Cubs? I just knew that every year the Cubs were going to shock the world and finally bring home a World Series. I'm still waiting, but still hanging on to my optimism about 2008 Cubs baseball.

No comments:

Will Albert Pujols Be Wearing A Chicago Cubs Jersey in 2012?

lids